Last week was Mental Health Awareness week around the globe, so how is your mind doing?
We had a couple of appropriately themed Beach classes last week, one being Leaning In, and the other being Getting Out Of Your Headspace and Getting into your Heart Space.
Mental health is something I’m really passionate about having had a history of this within the family, and having experienced crippling anxiety, insomnia and severe depression in my Pre Ibiza Life I wanted to offer some tips if you are struggling with your mind.
Things that helped me (and hope they can help you!)
- To get out of your head, get out of the house. Even if it’s raining! I found that just by being outside, being nature and breathing can help to settle feelings of uneasiness.
- Don’t suffer alone! Anxiety, Depression and other mental illness can be so LONELY and ISOLATING marked with a feeling of great shame they can make you feel like your locked in a very dark cave. You are not. I can’t begin to tell you how much better things have made my life with sharing things with other people. Most people have either been there, or know someone who has. It was so comforting to discover this and share your thoughts and feelings with others.
- Everything is impermanent. These thoughts, and feelings will pass. There are lots of super meditations, videos, short films on places like Gaia.com that I’ve found deeply inspirational and a good reminder to the fact that You are not your thoughts, you only experience them. Trying practising a couple of mudras (hand gestures) of empowerment for a few minutes each day and focussing on your breathing. I recommend Pritvi Mudra (see picture attached)
- Nutrition. Often during periods of darkness the first to ‘go’ was my self care. I literally didn’t have the energy to cook a nutrition meal nor the desires to look after myself. Now I have contacts with nutritionists and naturopaths to help make sure I’m getting enough serotonin, melatonin and other foods that will release the right hormones to make me feel better.
- Seek professional advice, as well as friends find a confidant who is trained in councelling that can really help you.
- Gratitude journalling. Every morning, or evening write 6 things in your life you are grateful for.
- Self Care Plan, what was the last thing you did you show yourself some love? Do you know how to show yourself love? If not, well imagine you had to look after a small child for 24 hours, what would you do to make them feel loved? Maybe you’d take them out in nature, read them a nice book, watch a nice light hearted film, bath them, make them a warm snug bed. This is how to treat yourself! Book in for a massage, a nice treatment, a Qi Gong, Tai Chi or Yoga class. Do something that will make you heart smile.
Remember, most of all, You are loved.