”Spring passes and one remembers ones innocence.
Summer passes and one remembers ones exuberance
AUTUMN PASSES AND ONE REMEMBERS ONES REVERENCE
Winter passes and one remembers one’s perseverance. ”
November is EN ROUTE! Which of course means the duvets and well truly OUT OUT, time to fold up the summer sarongs and sexy swimwear for a LONG TIME. All good though as dusting down your favourite jumpers is ALWAYS a nice feeling right? Heating on, toasty tutts warm next to the fire.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN! WINTER EN ROUTE, HOW ARE YOU?
TOP TIPS FOR NOVEMBER SELF CARE!
October/November is said to be the time when the ‘veil’ between our truest most authentic selves is super duper fine meaning we may be able to get access into higher levels of consciousness (waa hoo). It is also a time when we can GO WITHIN, REFLECT, as they say in the states ‘FALL’ a time when all the leaves, apples and autumn fruits start to fall to earth. Can also be a time when we feel we are starting to spin, feel overwhelmed and maybe losing the plot a little bit. Sound familiar?
For me it’s generally a time to go within, want to hibernate, read, reflect, learn and general become a squirrel burring for the long winter. I always get a craving to STUDY and LEARN in these months like my brain wants to absorb literature, film, culture, to churn and stir and wrap up warm.
Here is a few little nice things for this time of year
- Traditionally when we used to live with the land, work with the seasons, live alongside mother earth this period this is the time to NURTURE yourself. Filling the body with seasonal veggies from the earth, broths, soups, PUMKIN PIE, AND BUTTERNUT SOUP (see my favourite recipe below!). Think of cultivating your ever changing body as it prepares to go in to the dark winter.
- Physical/Meditation practices during this time. Again think NURTURING. Good time to get into more yin practices, more practices then encourage you to go within (think tai chi, qi gong, softer dru yoga EBR sequences). Think of movements and practices that encourage you to rest your over active nervous system. Favourite shapes for November for me would be legs up the wall (Viparita Karani), Child’s Pose (balasana/pindasana), Forward Folds (with soft knees for anyone with grumbly spines), Triangle/Revolving Triangle shapes also nice during this time. Dru Yoga’s tree of transformation also a nice sequence during this time (see attached)
- Nice time to look into courses for learning and growing so you have something to get involved with as the winter draws in.
- As ever, get outside into nature and OBSERVE the changes. Notice how it makes you feel. Get a thought journal on the go if you don’t have one already.
- Lots of warm fluids, lemon and ginger teas, and my favourite cinnamon in warm water.
Enjoy FRIGHT NIGHT! HAPPY HALLOWEEN
Some nice shapes by DoYouYoga